Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bug Hunting

We like bugs at my house. I don't know how it happened. Maybe we were always destined to become buggy people. I'm not sure. All I know is that it has become an obsession. Maybe not for me but definitely for my 5 year old! Abby wants to capture anything that flies, crawls, or buzzes. We've caught butterflies, roly-polies, grasshoppers, beatles, and even a hornet! My neighbor who loves nature (aka bugs) has become a mentor for my girls and even bought them their first butterfly nets. Here's Abby after a small butterfly. She actually even got it!
Here's Brooklyn at the said neighbors yard. Caterpillars. How delightful! I even have a video taken by my neighbor showing Brooklyn with her caterpillars. A lot of caterpillars. I'm talking like a dozen green, crawly caterpillars. Spilling out of Brooklyn's cute little hands. Not so delightful. Kind of disgusting actually.


Here's a picture of the caterpillar after it's formed the chrysalis. I find all of this very fascinating really. The caterpillar just curls up and forms kind of a C shape and then, magically morphs into this. I know some of you think I'm crazy at this point but have you ever thought about it? Just stop and think.......a caterpillar becomes a butterfly. Amazing! Notice how it's only held by two thin little strings.

And then, one day out comes a butterfly! This one happens to be a Black Swallowtail. And in case you're wondering, he is indoors. Abby and Brooklyn's room to be exact. We watched it up close and personal until he emerged. We wanted to see the whole process of him breaking out of his home, but we missed it. But I did see it jump the day before he was "born". Kind of like a baby kicking I guess. It scared me. But that's neither here or nor there. Look how beautiful he is!


And here's my little bug lovers. I sure love them!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Followers